Friday, May 16, 2008

OH What A Start To The Weekend....

Today finally turned out to be a fairly nice day. I was surprised because it was so cold this morning. The wind finally died down a little bit and the sun showed me it's pretty little head. We finished our work week early this morning and headed for home around 10:30 am. That makes for a nice day and makes it almost feel like a long weekend.

On our way home I stopped at the local garden center for some flowers to plant in my tree stump. I also bought some more soil for potting and a plant for the front porch. We also picked up some tomato plants, red for Melvin and a couple of yellow for me. I went out and fed the boys around 3 pm. They truly are rotten Momma's boys, though I don't mind it one bit. I brought home the empty feed bags, 4 of them stuffed with other bags, and tied together so they wouldn't blow out of my truck.

At about 5:30 Melvin and I decided to go out to eat some dinner. I changed out of my work clothes and into something clean while Melvin was getting ready. I remembered those feed bags in my truck so I headed out to toss them out. I climbed up on my rear tire and tossed them behind me to the ground. I bet they don't weigh 10 pounds total for all 4 of them, so it made tossing easy peasy.

I started to bring myself back down off the tire, pulled my right leg towards the ground, and poof...My left knee popped and gave way and down to the ground I went with a thud. I did land on those bags so the sudden stop wasn't too bad. That was the best part of it all though. I couldn't move my left leg and bending it was out of the question. I would have almost sworn I had broken it, just because of the shear pain and lack of movement I had in it.

I yelled for Melvin probably 4 or 5 times but he couldn't hear me. The neighbor's dog Ike was throwing a fit by now because I did something I normally don't do. Gunner was in a state of panic, running about in his little fenced area and barking. I told him to go get his Daddy about 4 or 5 times. Melvin said he came into the house at a dead run, looked him square in the eyes and ran back outside. He did this each time I told him to...What a good boy he is :) Melvin finally said what is she doing and headed towards the kitchen at which point he heard me telling Gunner, again, to go get his Daddy. With his help, I finally got to my feet and managed to get into the house to drop my jeans down past my knees. Nothing looked broken but the pain was (and still is) so bad that I was crying.

So much for going out to eat dinner. Two and a half hours later we finally left the emergency room. Nothing is broken in my knee, though the doctor thinks I tore my tendons or muscles. I am now on crutches with a knee brace that keeps my leg from bending, which if bent is excruciating pain anyways. I also gained a pair of pull up pants as my jeans wouldn't go over the brace. Who would want to see me walking out of the emergency room in my T-Shirt and underpants...lol..lol




6 comments:

deej said...

Holy Crap Peggy.....I am so glad you didn't break anything but torn tendons are just as bad. I hope you have a fast recovery. Big ((((HUGS))) to you.

*Desi* said...

((HUGS)) Hope you have a speedy recovery!!! What a good boy Gunner is!!!

wouldn't that be a site coming out of the ER!! ;) tehehe nothin better than a pair of comfy pants though!!

Twig's Corner said...

Oh my Peggy. I am so glad nothing is broken. I hope it heals quickly. But, in the mean time, take care.

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling today? Thanks for the call last night...love chatting with you! I hope you got some rest

Talk soon my friend

~Christina~ said...

Awe!!! Thank God you didn't break anything! I hope you feel better soon too! And what a good boy Gunner is!!! Its so amazing how smart our animals are. Some people just don't realize it.

Suzanne said...

Oh my! You'd better keep that dog around!